Wow! I was nominated for The Liebster Blog Award from my fabulous blog mentor Mary Ann Williams (aka, School of Moxie)! When I received her post on Facebook I was so stoked that I almost squealed aloud in my office! But I didn’t, I kept my decorum and squealed on the inside. It was because of Mary that I started blogging and my followers have been steadily growing (I think I got my first Facebook follower that I have absolutely no personal connection to which is pretty exciting!). After reading Mary’s post of her own nomination, I immediately googled it and discovered it’s been around for a couple of years and it’s for small, upcoming blogs with fewer than 200 followers (although at one point it was more like 3000 followers-huh?), and once you receive the nomination/award you must nominate fellow bloggers that you love. There are a few simple rules:
Liebster Award Rules and Requirements
- Post eleven facts about yourself.
- Answer the questions the nominator has set for you and create eleven questions for the people you’ve nominated.
- Choose eleven people (with fewer than 200 followers) to give this award to and link them in your post (can’t include your nominator)
- Go to their page and tell them.
So while I don’t always like starting where I’m suppose to, I’ll start with the first one: facts about me.
- This is my favorite: I’m either 1/8 or 1/16 Chinese. My maternal grandfather was born and raised in China and is at least half Chinese. His father was a Swedish businessman but we don’t have a lot of information regarding his mother as she was raised in an orphanage.
- I hate “diets”, especially fad diets. The idea of cutting entire types of food out of your diet or feeling ashamed if you decide to eat dessert is just wrong. When people go on diets and then “cheat” they inevitably feel guilty and more often than not they go off their diet. I believe in learning how to eat right-right portions and the right types of foods. Did you know that a piece of steak should be about the size of a deck of cards? Think about that the next time you go out to eat.
- I’m a huge Friends fan! I can quote probably every single episode and relate most life events to episodes of Friends. Yes, I’m that geek.
- I’m OCD about odd things, most noticeably my books. I can’t buy them if they have a “movie” cover, and if it’s a series, they all have to be with the same cover art. Insert laughter here.
- I love to cross-stitch. When I’m caught up on other work I love to watch a movie or a bunch of TV and cross-stitch a project (see below for a favorite project of mine).
- I had a breast reduction. And I’m damn proud to say it. I always encourage women to talk to their doctors about their choices. I was fortunate that I had insurance when I got mine. My mom likes to say I have a BMW on my chest now.
- I love to read. Had I not chosen acting as a career I may have been a librarian in another life. And I love reading real books, not e-books. The smell of a book is something I never get tired of. Drop me in a used bookstore and I’ll spend money that I don’t have in a minute.
- I love to cook and bake. (Hello-that is what my blog is about right? lol) And I dream of one day having a big fancy kitchen and hosting lots of dinner parties with all those fun party dishes I see at Pier One.
- I collect walruses. I’m the happiest girl in the world when I see one. No joke. It was my mascot when I was a state officer in the California Rainbow For Girls and they’ll never leave my life. Ever.
- I’m a country girl at heart. I grew up in the country and as much as I’ve grown to love LaLa Land, every time I spend time back in Three Rivers I remember how much I love the country. My favorite song of all time is “Cowboy Take Me Away” by the Dixie Chicks.
- I started acting because my older sister was doing theatre and I wanted to do everything she did. I honestly don’t know if I’d be an actor without her. Love you Liz.
Now for the questions that the always fabulous Mary has asked:
- What was your inspiration for starting your blog (and for some of you a business, as well)? The fabulous Mary Ann Williams and her School of Moxie blog. As an actor I knew I wanted to do something on the web, but I don’t consider myself a writer, but after watching Mary and hearing the joy it brought her, it just became the obvious thing to do. Once I came up with the cooking idea it all fell into place rather quickly (like one weekend).
- If you were a cereal, what kind of cereal would you be? And why? This is hard. And odd. And as an actor there’s always some teacher who asks a question in this vein and I’ve always hated it. But if I had to choose I guess it would be Honey Nut Cheerios. It’s a little bit sweet, but still good for your health. I like to think that’s me.
- If you won a million dollars, what would you do with it? Just like Mary said, I know there would be taxes taken out so it wouldn’t be a true million dollars (damn). After paying off my student loan and credit card debt, I’d take a chunk and finally start that 401K I’ve been saying I would start for the last 18 months. Then I would take another chunk and donate it to the various non-profits and schools that have made a difference in my life: CAIORG, Woodlake High School, Three Rivers Elementary School, Towne Street Theatre, The Blank Theatre, Alzheimer’s Research, Camp Sunshine Dreams and the Sigma Kappa Sorority Foundation. I’d also take another chunk and finally take care of some dental work I need, and then I’d buy a set of non-stick pans along with a set of nice knives. I’d make sure there was a small chunk to put in my checking account too, so that I could still pay my bills. But if there was any left over, I’d buy myself a pretty dress and a pair of shoes to go with it. Yup. I’m kind of a geek, but that’s what I’d do.
- Vanilla or chocolate? Um, chocolate-duh! always.
- Shaken or stirred? Stirred. Have you ever had a tequila sunrise? Gotta stir those.
- If you weren’t blogging about the topic you write on now, what else would you blog about? Books. Definitely books.
- What does your ideal day look like? Have you ever had one of those yet? This is über hard and I had to sleep on this question, but here it goes. I’d wake up and after a quick jog and a yummy breakfast, I’d head to set for a show or movie I get to work on. At the end of the day I’d relax with the man of my dreams and nice glass of wine. And no, that hasn’t happened yet. Le sigh.
And here are my nominees! I don’t follow that many blogs (does that make me a bad blogger? Oh well.) so I don’t have the requisite 11, but here are the blogs I do follow and love and have less than 200 followers.
- Frugal Beautiful by Shannyn Allan. She’s amazing. I met her in CAIORG and she was the first person I knew who had their own blog. I thought it was the coolest thing ever and when I met her for dinner after she moved back from Chicago she inspired me to push forward with my blog. I was a little nervous and had only discussed it with Mary, but hearing her words of encouragement helped me realize that I could do it. (And I know she was already nominated, but she’s just that amazing.)
- Today Be Beautiful by Jill Brown. Jill is another amazing woman I know from CAIORG. We served as state officers together and we bonded over our short statures 😉 She is a strong, funny, smart woman and she runs THREE blogs! I envy her in the most positive way ever. While I don’t follow her other two blogs I am still going to include them below.
- Skulls and Skeletons by Jill Brown. Her second blog and what I like to call her “fun blog”. Weird and crazy and beautiful and vintage, you’ll find all her amazing finds here!
- Daily Diabetic by Jill Brown. Jill is a Type 1 Diabetic and she chronicles her health here. I think being this open with the public about your health struggles is one of the bravest things a person can do. Who knows the inspiration she will bring to her readers. Rock on Jill!
- We’re Calling Shenanigans by Kristen and Amelia. When I found this blog I immediately started following them. They take all those crazy Pinterest Projects and put them to the test. How cool is that?! I think they’re close to the 200 mark, but not sure if they’re over. Oh well!
- Diary Of A Mid-Life Crisis by Susan Lee. You may remember Susan in a post last fall, No Mo Chemo Lasagna. Susan was one of my first two friends here in LA and over the last three years we’ve grown closer. She is one of THE strongest women I know. Life has dished her a number of curve balls and she keeps knocking them back. I hope that when I reach her age I’m half the woman she is.
The other blog I wanted to nominate already received the nomination in December but I’m still going to give her a shout out, at350degrees, a fabulous baking blog. The other blogs I follow all have more than 200 followers so I’ve officially run out of blogs. And now for my questions for my nominees:
- What was your inspiration for starting your blog? (Loved this and totally stole it from the fab Mary)
- If you could live anywhere in the world (besides where you currently live), where it would be?
- Who would play you in the movie of your life?
- If you could only save two things from your burning home, what would they be?
- If you could meet anyone from history, who would it be and why?
- Sweet or Savory?
- Medical or Law TV show?
Whew! That was the longest post ever! I hope you check out these amazing blogs and hey, maybe you’ll find a little inspiration.